Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

Shooting in Binghamton NY

I woke up this afternoon and when I logged on, I was shocked to discover there was a mass shooting in my hometown of Binghamton, NY.

A lone gunman barricaded the back door of the American Civic Center with his car, entered the front door and started shooting. As of now, 13 people have been killed, the gunman committed suicide and 4 people are in critical condition.

Pictured here is an AFP photo of BPD securing Front St.

Here's the story from the Seattle Times website:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008979044_aphostageshooting.html

A friend of mine I've known nearly all my life is on the Binghamton PD. My family and his grew up practically next door to each other. I still knew his mom's phone number and called her to see if he was okay. Fortunately he is. He's part of a permanent detachment that patrol's the city's high school. (When I grew up we didn't have police patrolling the corridors). Binghamton High School is just up the road from the American Civic Center and was immediately locked down when the 911 call came through.

It's so weird watching this news unfold and looking at familiar images clear across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment