Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Memorial Day Malcontents

(Image by Gary Varvel)

It seems like we can't have a holiday celebrating the good things about America, and honoring those who made our country great, without some malcontents condemning the festivities.

Normally, I feel somewhat embarrassed when I tell a pack of guys that I don't follow sports.  Oh, I love all our Seattle sports teams and hope they do well each season.  But I feel like I'm suffering from some testosterone deficiency when a conversation turns to sports, leaving me nothing to contribute.

This time, however, I'm glad I'm not someone who tunes-in to every sports channel on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Over the holiday weekend, an ESPN columnist lamented about cops signing the National Anthem, signalling an "authoritarian shift at the ballpark." 

The only time I see anything on ESPN is when I'm at the gym on a cardio machine, and I'm in front a a TV tuned to the station.  I'll be sure to keep my exposure to ESPN at this limit from now on.

Unfortunately, this past weekend's sour notes weren't limited to a columnist complaining about who sings the National Anthem.  Just before the holiday weekend got underway, veteran memorials in three states were vandalized.

At least the vandalism didn't seem to be some coordinated effort conducted by the usual activist groups.

(Image by Lisa Benson)

No comments:

Post a Comment