Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Centinnial Sinking


Today marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic. I'm almost as fascinated with maritime history as I am with naval and military history. And very few maritime disasters are as fascinating as the Titanic. There's even a homepage for artifacts that have been recovered since the wreck was discovered by Robert Ballard. I saw the exhibit when it came to Seattle 11 years ago.


My interest in the Titanic pre-dates the James Cameron film. I read A Night to Remember by Walter Lordback in high school and did a book report on it. And despite today's special effects and the re-analysis of the Titanic's sinking after the wreck was discovered, I still think the movie version is better than the Cameron's film.

While there's been vast improvements in maritime safety since 1912, social norms seem to be plunging to the same icy depths as the Titanic's final resting place.  Four months ago, Mark Steyn made a "then and now" comparison of the Titanic's sinking in vs the wreck of the Costa Concordia nearly one hundred years later...


No comments:

Post a Comment