Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Iron Lady Passes...

 
I've been off line for several days now.  My fiance and I got married last weekend, so I avoided the news while playing host to visiting family and friends. 
 
One headline I couldn't avoid was the news about the death of Margaret Thatcher four days ago.
 
The Economist dubbed her No Ordinary Politician.
 
Talk about an understatement.
 
 
 
She was my favorite Prime Minister during my lifetime so far.  I think the Post-World War II Anglo-American alliance was at it's strongest during the Reagan-Thatcher years.  Much has been written about their friendship.
 
 
Now, I think our relationship with Great Britain is about as low as it can go and still be called an "alliance." 
 
 
Only our relationship with Israel is lower...
 
 
Of course, Britain's Iron Lady had--and still has--plenty of enemies
 
I've been one of her fans since she became Britain's only woman prime minister.  On the day of her death, Mark Steyn wrote a short tribute in The Corner and discussed her legacy--with tips to Republicans--on the Hugh Hewitt Show.
 
It's a shame none of our political leaders, on both sides of the Atlantic, are made of the same stuff as Maggie was...
 
Update 8:30 AM:
 
The Diplomad 2.0 weighed in with  Another Great One Leaves Scene.
 
Update 12:00 PM:
 
Mark Steyn rolls-in again with Thatcher Thought Britain Was Worth Fighting For
 

No comments:

Post a Comment