Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Columbus Day Controversy

(Image from:  Wallpapers and Images)
 
I almost forgot today is Columbus Day.  While it's a federal holiday, it's not a WA State holiday, so I nearly forgot about it.
 
Unfortunately, activists aren't likely to forget anything that's happened since 1492.
 
Even when I was in grade school, way-back-when, the phrase "Columbus discovered America" was falling out of vogue for the obvious reason that the western hemisphere was already settled by Native Americans. 
 
The controversy has gotten more intense. 
 
In nearby Seattle, today is Indigenous Peoples Day
 
I try not to get too caught up in this.  Anyone who has read history knows that in the long European vs. Native conflict, atrocities were committed--by both sides. 
 
Leftists have a tendency to view everything prior to the Civil Rights Movement and the Feminist Movement as bad.  No, I certainly don't believe the successive governments that ran our country acted with the purest motives either.
 
I simply acknowledge the good and bad that happened in the past, and I don't hold anyone living responsible for the acts, behavior and attitudes of their long-dead ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment