Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Holiday Isn't Over...

...until the candy's all gone!

Today I just got around to opening a bag of Easter-themed Peanut Butter M&Ms. I'll buy holiday candy when it goes on sale after the holiday and then it will take me several months to get through all the junk. In fact I finished my Christmas Candy just before Easter.

A couple of months ago, my sister took part in a podcast and they were giving one of the members a hard time about eating Easter Candy a month after the holiday.

That's nothing!

As a retired military member I'm all-too familiar with MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat). One of the best treats inside the vacuum-sealed packets were M&Ms. However, I never noticed any expiration dates on any MREs I've eaten.

Sealing all the items in thick plastic--with no noticeable expiration date--didn't stop some of the aging process. The M&Ms found in MREs was often so old the chocolate became completely dehydrated. Mmmm. It was like eating candy-coated chocolate dust.

So eating candy that's "merely" a few months old is no big deal for me. I still have half a bag left of these Easter M&Ms. But this isn't the last of my Easter candy. I have an unopened bag of Cadbury Mini-Eggs left. I should get around to polishing these off before Labor Day...

My wife teases my about my ability to keep such holiday treats for so long. But this wasn't always the case.

Before I turned 40, I could eat what I wanted and as much as I wanted. Or as I called it the "eat like crazy/workout like crazy" fitness plan. However, by the time I turned 46 I found myself 20 pounds heavier. So I cut out eating junk food until I got back down to my original weight.

I still get cravings, but I found certain foods help me resist the siren song of chocolate and other goodies. This morning I came across about some of the very foods I eat to help get me through most days without falling off the dietary wagon:

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/twoweekturnaround/binge-proof-your-diet-6-foods-that-keep-you-full-and-satisfied-481183/

No comments:

Post a Comment