Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Medal of Honor Day


Today is Medal of Honor Day. For me, it is a poignant reminder that some of the miniatures and playing pieces in my wargaming hobby represent heroes who "served above and beyond the call of duty."
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I wasn't aware of the significance of today until Comrade Karla sent me this link from Stars and Stripes On-Line:
Two years ago, a local veteran, Bruce Crandall was finally awarded the Congressional Medal for his actions in during the battle of Ia Drang Valley in November 1965. This battle is the subject of LTG (Ret) Harold Moore's book We Were Soldiers Once...And Young, which was made into the movie We Were Soldiers in 2002.
Bruce Crandall was the lead helicopter pilot flying-in supplies to the embattled troops and evacuating the wounded:

No comments:

Post a Comment